DEPARTMENT OF BOTANY
The department came into existence in the year 1960. The separate science faculty started in the year 1967. Dr. P.N. Purekar took charge as head of the department in 1960 along with faculty members Mrs. U. D. Chaudhary & Mrs. H. M. Kamdar. Earlier the department had UG course with a single group consist of Chemistry, Botany & Zoology.
At present in our department there are three groups i.e. Chemistry, Botany & Zoology (CBZ); Chemistry, Botany & Microbiology (CBM); Chemistry, Botany & Geology (CBG).Presently, in our department there are four teaching staff members and two non-teaching staff members. All are qualified and experienced.
The faculty members are actively involved in Research, as there are many International and National research papers published by the faculties in Peer reviewed reputed journals with good impact factor, out of which few papers are also included in International Data Base (Scopus).Faculty members also attended and presented research papers in international conferences held abroad during 2010 – 2015. There are five Minor Research Projects sanctioned to the department by UGC, of which four are completed and one is submitted.
Department regularly organizes excursion tour to various localities and nearby forests to enrich the knowledge about the Flora of the region.
- Effective Teaching Learning through various tools
- Teaching plant science through field visits, various specimens and lab. equipments
- Guest Lectures
- Installation of Botanical Society as an effort to serve the society as a social responsibility.
- Environmental awareness nurturing through various Eco- concern activities
- Inculcation of research skill to school students through INSPIRE
- Skill Based Program
- Interdisciplinary action
- Green Audit
|Undergraduate courses offered by Department
||120 (Sem I &II), 100(Sem III & Sem IV), 100 (SemV & VI)
|Subject combination offered
||Chemistry, Botany, Zoology (CBZ)
Chemistry, Botany, Microbiology (CBM)
Chemistry, Botany, Geology (CBG)
||XII Science with Biology
|Sr. No. ||Faculty name ||Designation ||Qualification ||Subject Expertise
||Associate Professor & Head
||M.Sc., B.Ed. M.Phil, Ph.D
||Cytogenetics & Phycology
||M.Sc., M.Phil, Ph.D
||Plant Tissue Culture & Aerobiology
||M.Sc, B.Ed. Ph.D
||Dr. R. P. Sonwalkar
|Sr. No. ||Staff Name ||Designation
DEPARTMENT ACTIVITIES (2017-2020)
- Dr. Jairam Khobragade, Director, Forensic Science, Institute of Science, Nagpur on 28th Sep. 2017
- Shri Amit Pophali on 20th Feb. 2018
- Shri V.K. Sinha, Principal Chief Conservator of Forest on 28 July 2017
- Dr. Prakash A. Itankar, Asstt. Prof. (Sr. Gr.), Pharmaceutical Sciences, RTM Nagpur University, Nagpur4th Aug. 2018 on the topic "Translational Research in Herbals: Past to Future to Past".
- Seminar Competition conducted on Forest Conservation Day on 9th Aug. 2016.
- One day workshop on "Soil-less organic Terrace Gardening" on 9th Jan. 2017.
- Two days workshop on Bonsai Technique on 7th and 8th Feb. 2017
- Workshop on herbal Textile colors in association with Somalwar Nikalas Mahila Mahavidyalaya on 26 october 2018.
- Workshop on herbal cosmetics in association with Somalwar Nikalas Mahila Mahavidyalaya on 13 December, 2018.
- Workshop on Vermicompost on 26th Sep. 2017.
- Workshop on "Bouquet making and Flower arrangement" by Hon. Mrs. Anju Parchure, Vice President, Nagpur Garden Club on 20th March 2018.
- Workshop on plant tissue culture technique organized in the month of January every year.
SKILL BASED PROGRAMME
- Mushroom cultivation technique (2018-19) onwards.
SELF FINANCE CERTIFICATE COURSE
- Mushroom Cultivation for the students of Sem I &II (2007-18)
- Floriculture & Landscaping for the students of Sem III & IV (2007-18)
- Salekasa Forest, Hajra Fall Dist. Gondia and Institute of Handicraft training and entrepreneurship center, Salekasa on 17/09/17.
- Mahakali Dam & Dhaga Mahadev, near Nagpur on 19thAug. 2017.
- Pachmarhi, Dist. Chindwada, M.P. from 30th Aug. to 2nd Sept. 2018.
- ITI Biotech DST Lab. Betul, MP. on 26th Feb. 2019.
- Ku. Janavi Muley bagged 3rd prize in Intercolligiate Seminar Competition on Smart and sustainable cities organized by Dr. Ambedkar College, Nagpur on 29th September 2016.
- Ku.Asima Das & Ku. Mayuri Mishra bagged 2nd prize in SHODH, State level Science Fair 2017 on 28th Feb. to 1st March 2017 organized by Shivaji Science College, Nagpur.
- Ku. Disha Hingnekar & Ku. Karishma Pokale won 2nd & 3rd prize respectively in Floral Carpet organized by Friends International & NMC Nagpur on 14th Jan. 2017
- Ku. Pratiksha Muley & Ku. Sakshi Pahade won1st & 2nd prize respectively in Flower arrangement organized by Friends International & NMC Nagpur on 14th Jan. 2017
- Ku. Sakshi Dubey & Ku. Sonali Saonerkar bagged 1st prize in Intercollegiate Poster Competition organized by Taywade College, Koradi on 5th March 2018.
- Ku. Asmiya Sadaf, Ku. Aditi Panse & Ku. Ankita Jadhav selected in Campus Interview for the post of Territory Manager (Research) in Pharmaceutical Company, Abbott, Nagpur on 16 - 17th Jan. 2018
- Ku.Asima Das & Ku. Mayuri Mishra selected for M.Sc. course at Christ College, (Deemed Univ) .Bangluru March 18, 2018.
- Students participated in Inspire Camp as trainer to explain various experiments like Mushroom Culture, Plant Tisssue Culture, Genetics, Phytorid System and Paleobotany on 26-29 March 2018.
- Ku. Nikhat Farooque & Ku. Priyanka Doondani secured 4th & 5th position in merit list declared by RTM Nagpur University, Nagpur Summer 2018.
- Ku. Shruti Agrawal & Ku. Sakshi Dubey bsgged 1st & 3rd prize in debate competition held at Mahatma Fule Arts, Commerce & Chaudhary Science College, Warud in association with IIT, Kharagpur on 8th-9th Feb. 2019.
- Ku. Iffat Quazi & Ku. Ashwini Zurmure secured second position in oral paper presentation competition at National Students Conference organized by Institute of Science, Nagpur on 6th -7th March 2019.
|Sr. ||Name ||Details
||Ms. Suprita Dogra,
||Major, Army Aviation Corps., Indian Army
||Dr Ravindra D Makde
||Scientific Officer, BARC, Mumbai
||Ms. Ketki Agasti
||Flight Lieutenant, Operations Officer-Fighters,Adampur (Punjab), India
||Mr Dilip Chinchmalatpure
||Biodiversity Consultant, Rajbhavan, Nagpur, India
||Ms. Sayali Tembhurne
||Scientist B, CGWB, Jaipur
Dr R N Deshmukh,
Head, Dept.of Botany,
Shivaji Science College,